Privacy policy: Taxi Driver Licences

Who To Contact

Data Protection Officer
Knowsley Council
Westmorland Road
L36 9GL

Who will my own my data once I submit it?

Knowsley Metropolitan Borough Council

Why do you need my information?

We need your information to consider the issue of hackney and private hire licences in accordance with the relevant legislation.

What allows you to use my information?

  • Part II of the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act of 1976 (as amended)
  • The Town Police Clauses Acts 1847-1889 (as amended)
  • The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (as amended)
  • Other legislation which amended the above three main Acts of Parliament (such as the Equality Act 2010 and subsequent legislation)

Who will my information be shared with?

Disclosure and Barring Service (this organisation requires you to be aware of its own Privacy Policy which can be found within the Government's online publication DBS Privacy Policies

  • Immigration Border Agency (Right to reside and work in the UK)
  • Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) (Right to drive and motoring convictions)
  • Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC), Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) (Financial Matters required under statutory powers)
  • UK Police forces (under Data Protection Detection of Crime powers)
  • Licensing Services of other Local Authorities including the NAFN Register (Revoked and Refused Driver applicants/ licensees)
  • Private Hire Operators and Hackney Radio Nets (Licence status)
  • Potential litigants/Legal Services (under Data Protection provisions)
  • Other Government Agencies (with statutory right of access)
  • Members of the Public (if contained within a published statutory register)

Do I have to provide this information and what will happen if I don't?

If you do not provide the information requested we cannot deal with your enquiry and if you are applying for a licence we may not be legally able to grant a licence.

How long will you keep this data and why?

We will hold your information for seven years.

How will my information be stored?

Your information will be securely stored in line with our information security guidelines

Will this information be used to take automated decisions about me?


Will my data be transferred abroad and why?


What rights do I have when it comes to my data?

Under the General Data Protection Regulation, you have the following rights with regards to your personal data: -

  • The right to subject access – you have the right to see a copy of the personal data that the Council holds about you and find out what it is used for
  • The right to rectification – you have the right to ask the council to correct or remove any inaccurate data that we hold about you
  • The right to erasure (right to be forgotten) you have the right to ask the council to remove data that we hold about you
  • The right to restriction – you have the right to ask for your information to be restricted (locked down) on council systems
  • The right to data portability – you have the right to ask for your data to be transferred back to you or to a new provider at your request
  • The right to object – you have the right to ask the council to stop using your personal data or to stop sending you marketing information, or complain about how your data is used
  • The right to prevent automated decision making – you have the right to ask the Council to stop using your data to make automated decisions about you or to stop profiling your behaviour (where applicable)

To find out more about your rights under the GDPR, please visit the Information Commissioner’s website.
To request a copy of your data or ask questions about how it is used, contact:-
Data Protection Officer
Knowsley Council
Westmorland Road
L36 9GL
Or email:

Who can I complain to if I am unhappy about how my data is used?

You can complain directly to the Council’s Data Protection Team by writing to: -

Data Protection Officer
Knowsley Council
Westmorland Road
L36 9GL
Or via the Have Your Say website.

You also have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office using the following details: -

The Information Commissioner's Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane
Cheshire SK9 5AF
Telephone: 08456 30 60 60 or 01625 54 57 45