Housing Assistance, Grants & Repairs

Empty Home Owner Grant Assistance

In order to encourage the return to use of empty properties Knowsley Council have limited funding available to offer grant assistance to owners of empty properties. If you own an empty property in Knowsley you may be eligible to apply for grant assistance to bring your property up to a decent standard, thus allowing the dwelling to become occupied.

Who can apply?

You can apply if you are:

  • 18 years of age or older; and
  • The owner of an empty dwelling which is over 10 years old.

When an application is received a member of the Environmental Health Team will attend the property and discuss your options and decide if a referral should be made for grant assistance.

How much financial assistance is available?

If the grant application is approved, following the submission of two written quotations for the works, the council will pay 50% of the cost of improvement works up to a maximum grant value of £5,000.

Knowsley Council will cover the costs associated with administration of the grant.

What conditions apply?

When the work is completed the property must become, and remain, occupied for the duration of the grant condition period.

You must repay the grant in full after five years - no interest will be charged.

If the property is rented the Council require nomination rights for 5 years and the property must be accredited with Knowsley Landlord Accreditation Scheme.

For more information:

If you would like to know more about the scheme please contact Charlie Hogan / Sarah Banks on 0151 443 5835 / 2208.

Disabled Facilities Grants (DFG)

The council may be able to help you if you are disabled and need amendments to your property if you’re disabled and need to make changes to your home, for example to:

  • widen doors and install ramps
  • improve access to rooms and facilities - e.g. stair lifts or a downstairs bathroom provide a heating system suitable for your needs adapt heating or lighting controls to make them easier to use

To find out more, visit the Benefits and Grants for Disabled People page on our website.

Trader Approved Scheme Knowsley (TASK)

If you would like advice on getting works completed and would like advice on choosing a contractor you may wish to use the TASK. The scheme is aimed at elderly and vulnerable people and vets contactors through Trading Standards to help reduce the risks associated with rogue traders.

You have to be an older person or a vulnerable resident in Knowsley to access the free TASK service.

If you consider yourself to be eligible are eligible please call TASK on 0151 546 6680.

Care and Repair Scheme

Knowsley Council also have a Care and Repair Scheme run through Knowsley Housing Trust. Care & Repair provide help and support to vulnerable people to help them remain living in their homes comfortably and safely.  Contact 0151 548 6668 or email: enquiries@vivarkcareandrepair.co.uk

Our team of multi-skilled handymen and specially trained assessors advise on and deliver a range of services to help you live independently at home including:

  • General handyperson jobs
  • Home security
  • Painting and decorating
  • Gardening services
  • Aids and adaptations
  • Equipment sales
  • A home from hospital support scheme
  • Advice on funding
  • They can also help to source grants and loans, and provide information about the Equity Release scheme.

To find out more go to Vivark Care & Repair

North West Housing Services

North West Housing Services provide professional services to housing co-operatives, small housing associations, leaseholders and social enterprises.

The company was formed in 2006 by a consortium of 38 independent organisations with a collective goal to take control of their own services. It is unique, in that it is a mutual, not for-profit company which is totally owned and controlled by its customers. 

The following housing co-operatives are based in Knowsley:

  • Cherryfield Housing Co-operative
  • Huyton Community Co-operative for the Elderly
  • Knowsley Residents Housing Co-operative
  • Rusland Road Housing Co-operative
  • Southdene Housing Co-operative
  • Springwood Housing Co-operative
  • Westvale Housing Co-operative

For further information please email: enquiries@nwhousing.org.uk.

Grant Repayments

For information and advice on grant repayments please contact Charlie Hogan on 0151 443 5835.