Licensing privacy notice (excluding Hackney and Private Hire)

Who To Contact

Data Protection Officer
Knowsley Council
Westmorland Road
L36 9GL

Information about licensing and the GDPR

Who will own my data once I submit it?

Knowsley Metropolitan Borough Council

Why do you need my information?

  • We need your information to consider the following in accordance with the relevant legislation:
  • Applications for Gambling licences and permits
  • Notifications and applications for Licences permitting sale of Alcohol, Regulated Entertainment and Late Night Refreshment
  • Applications for Scrap Metal Collectors and Site Licences
  • Applications for Street Trading Consents
  • Applications for Sex Establishment Licences
  • Applications for Charitable Collections permits
  • Applications for Marriage Venue Licences

What allows you to use my information?

  • Gambling Act 2005
  • Licensing Act 2003
  • Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013
  • Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982 Part 2 and Part 3
  • House to House Collections Act 1939 and the House to House Collections Regulations 1947, as amended
  • Police, Factories, and & c. (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1916 Section 5
  • Marriage Act 1949
  • Civil Partnership Act 2004
  • The Marriages and Civil Partnerships (Approved Premises) Regulations 2005
  • The Marriages and Civil Partnerships (Approved Premises)(Amendment) Regulations 2011
  • Other legislation which amended the above legislation

Who will my information be shared with?

  • Central Government Agencies (e.g. HMRC Home Office, Gambling Commission for Statutory Data Returns)
  • UK Police forces  (under Lawful Authority Data Protection Detection of Crime powers)
  • Responsible Authorities (Authority under Licensing Act and Gambling Act)
  • Other KMBC Internal Departments (Under Lawful Authority, Data Protection Detection of Crime Powers)
  • Licensing Services of other Local Authorities (Under Lawful Authority)
  • Potential litigants/Legal Services (under Data Protection provisions)

Do I have to provide this information and what will happen if I don't

If you do not provide the information requested we cannot deal with your enquiry and if applying for a licence we may not be legally able to grant a licence.

How long will you keep this data and why?

We only hold information as long as it is needed or required by law and then dispose of it securely.

How will my information be stored?

Your information will be securely stored in line with our information security guidelines

What rights do I have when it comes to my data?

You have the right under the Data Protection Act 1998 (General Data Protection Regulation) to request a copy of your information and to know what it is used for and how it has been shared. This is called the right of subject access.

Under the General Data Protection Regulation you will have these rights.

Please note, these rights can only be used from 25 May 2018 onwards.

To request a copy of your data or ask questions about how it is used, please download a copy of our form and send it to:

Dan Howarth
Data Protection Officer
Knowsley Council
Westmorland Road
L36 9GL
Or email:

Who can I complain to if I am unhappy about how my data is used

You can complain directly to the Council’s Data Protection Team by writing to:

Data Protection Officer
Knowsley Council
Westmorland Road
L36 9GL
Or email:

You also have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office using the following details: -

The Information Commissioner's Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane
Cheshire SK9 5AF
Telephone: 08456 30 60 60 or 01625 54 57 45


Will this information be used to take automated decisions about me?


Will my data be transferred abroad and why?