Under the County of Merseyside Act 1980, all hairdressers and barbers must register with the council. Registration is free.
After receiving your application, an Environmental Health Practitioner will visit your premises to check health and safety standards and that your premises meet the following council byelaws:
- The structure is suitable, in good repair and be thoroughly cleaned and disinfected.
- Furniture and equipment is cleanable.
- Protective clothing, towels and cloths are suitable and clean.
- Combs, brushes and other instruments are disposable or thoroughly cleaned and disinfected where necessary.
- Waste, including sharps and clinical waste, is disposed of correctly.
Your premises will be risk rated to determine the frequency of the health and safety inspections
How to apply
Download, complete and return the application form.